What Modifications Can Be Made To Your Birth Certificates?

Birth certificates are an indispensable document needed by every individual, as it’s an essential document that records an infant’s birth baby and is often required for getting married, to register for school, getting the driver’s license etc. Making corrections to the error in your birth certificate is achievable and can be accomplished through a set of steps. In general rule any entry in the civil register is rectified only by a judicial decision. The procedure to rectify errors in your birth certificates is to apply for a petition to the court. However, the Republic Act No. 9048 allows for the correction by administrative means of some entries from entries in the Civil Register including entries in the birth certificate.

To make a correction to your U.S. birth certificate it is necessary that you contact or go to the correction/amendments department at the vital records office that issued the original birth certificate. The department is capable of helping you make an amendment to the birth certificate.

What modifications can be made to Your Birth Certificate?

Birth certificates are one but, if it is not the most vital document you possess. Birth certificates prove the age of the person, their citizenship as well as identity. If there are errors on your birth certificateor you want to Child Name Change, then you should make them right. Your birth certificate should contain the correct details.

The procedure for making changes or corrections to your birth certificate can differ in each state. There are some factors that will assist you in forming an idea of where to begin.

There are many mistakes that can occur at the birthplace and sex as well as other information found on an birth certificate. If you’ve discovered an error on the birth certificate, it’s required to correct the error. To do this, you’ll need evidence to prove the correction. Every case is unique and you should check with the local office.

Sometimes, errors occur. If the birthplace, gender or any other details are incorrect when it comes to the birth certificate it may be necessary to have changes made to accurately reflect the details. This usually requires evidence to confirm the changes. Every case is slightly different, and the department that handles vital records that is responsible to keep and issue birth certificates can assist in this process.

How to Correct Errors on the Birth Certificate

In the present, you are able to make a request for correction of typographical or clerical mistakes regarding the name of the person’s first initial, nickname birthplace of birth, date as well as month, or the sex for an individual. Typically, you’ll have to file this petition with the Local Civil Registry Office (LCRO) where the record that contains the error you want to rectify is stored. If your home is different than the place where public records of civil registration are recorded then you’ll need to submit the petition to your nearest LCRO.

The petition to change your initial name or nickname can’t be made on the basis of any reason. The corrections to your birth certificate are possible only in the following circumstances:

  • Your first name or nickname absurd, stained by dishonor, or simply too difficult to write or pronounce.
  • The name, or nickname has been continually utilized by the person who made the request, and they were widely known as the name or nickname they have chosen in their local community.
  • The new format will help avoid confusion

As a rule in general, any request for corrections to first name the nickname, day and month, as well as gender has to be made presented in an affidavit signed by a notary. In this document, you should provide the facts required to prove the validity your request. The affidavit must prove that you have the capacity to provide evidence to the issues stipulated in the document.

Supporting documents needed to make rectify the birth certificate

  • A true and certified duplicate of the certificate of the page in the registry book which contains the entry or entries that are sought to be altered or corrected.
  • Two (2) two (2) documents that show the correct entry on which the correction or change must be based.
  • The Notice of Publication and the Certificate for Posting
  • The Original Receipt from the filing fee
  • A form of certification from law enforcement agencies to confirm that the petitioner is not a victim of a open criminal case or pending.
  • Other documents requested by LCRO.

To be able to amend the birth date or nature of the child’s gender, other documents are required such as the school’s first record or documents like baptismal records, medical records or other certificates issued by an authority of religion.

If you want to change the gender of an individual an application for change of gender has accompanying a certificate by a certified government doctor which confirms that the person requesting the change has not undergone a change of sex. This may be required because of the possibility that a request for gender correction can be only due to a mistake or an error in the clerical system. Someone who has changed their reproductive organs is not able to correct the information about their gender on the birth certificate.

Civil registrars will look over the petition along with the supporting documents documents. The office will put the petition up in a prominent location for 10 consecutive days after they have found the petition and supporting documents to be adequate. Then, they’ll act upon the petition, and issue an answer within five days in a row.

  • Correction of the certificate of birth for an adult to correct the name of the first middle name, the month or date of birth, provide an affidavit along with records from the elementary schools or census as well as a document that is established as an adult indicating the full title of your name as well as birth date of birth, or the age of the applicant. If you do not meet these criteria, you’ll require the assistance of a judge’s order.
  • Correcting a minor’s birth certificate Parents are required to sign an affidavit as well as provide an official record of the birth of their child that will include the child’s name and date of birth, as well as the item to be changed.
  • Correcting a misspelled final name Submit an affidavit for correction of the birth certificate as well as the father’s birth, death or marriage certificates if your name is the same as that of your father’s. If it’s identical to your mother’s name then you’ll require her birth certificate.
  • Correction of your birth date Submit an affidavit that corrects your birth certificate, school’s record of admission to elementary school, as well as the census record.
  • Correcting the mother’s name or father’s name You must submit an affidavit that corrects the birth certificate, as well as the birth or death certification of the father whose birth or death date is not correct.

You can also avail of our legal advisory for Name Change after marriage through online sessions. At Legally Name Change you can find the best lawyers to conduct online meetings for your name change after a marriage case.



Leave a Reply