Modular Kitchen vs Kitchen Carpentry: Which is Better? If you’re building an entirely new home it is likely that you will require furniture for all rooms of your home. The kitchen is thought of as the center and most important aspect of the home. There are a variety of options for furniture, so we often get lost on which one to pick specifically for the kitchen. There was a time that people used the traditional methods of making furniture by contacting a local carpenter to make their furniture, or visit the furniture showrooms to assess their furniture needs and place orders accordingly.
Modular kitchens have become the most popular option among homeowners.It is made up of prefabricated cabinets as well as fittings that are easily connected to create stunning looking and functional kitchen. But, despite the fact that they are becoming extremely well-known, many are unsure if they should opt for an open-plan kitchen or opt to a custom carpenter. It’s not an easy decision because carpenters are always the preferred option, however the modular designs made by factories offer a more attractive finish due to the use of the modern manufacturing methods.
Thus, it’s possible to be determined if you want to choose a modular kitchens or the traditional method of choosing a carpenter for the making of furniture. Both options are a good mix of advantages and disadvantages that can assist in deciding which one – modular kitchen or carpenter kitchen is the best choice for your kitchen layout.
Advantages: Modular kitchen v/s Carpenter Kitchen
(a) Modular Kitchen
01. Easy to install: One of the interesting features of a modular kitchen is that it can be easily installed.
02. The manufacturing of modular kitchens takes place in factories, and they come as ready-to-install. So, it offers you the easiness to practically shift the entire modular kitchen when you move or shift your house.
03. Ease of customization: Smooth modular kitchens are designed keeping in mind the needs of customer. Depending on your needs, available space and personal preferences, you can get your kitchen customized in the limits of your budget.
04. Theme and colour: You can coordinate your kitchen theme and colour or go for a design that compliments or matches with the theme of your house.
05. Storage capacity: With efficient and proper planning by professional kitchen planners, these kitchens provide more storage and better work flow with easy and smooth pace.
06. Modular kitchen cabinets come with special storage such as built-in bottle racks, plate holders, cutlery compartments, garbage holders and wire trays for vegetables.
07. The shelves provided with modular kitchen allow you to save lot of space. In some kitchens, you will notice shelves in corners or tiny spaces, while some they are designed on doors to hang it.
08. Fast delivery: Modular kitchens are made in factories and then fitted in your house. Within a month or few weeks or so, you can expect to have the kitchen installed at your home after placing the order.
09. Varieties: Modular kitchens come in a wide range of latest and elegant designs which uses straight line cuts and corners giving a minimal yet luxurious look.
10. You also get to choose from an abundant range of finishes, colors, patterns to make your modular kitchen match with your existing interior theme.
11. The storage facilities will help you organize kitchenware items which will help in cooking and working in the kitchen quite easy and efficient and also helps to DE-clutter the kitchen giving it a clean and tidy appearance.
12. Elegant and sleek design: Modular kitchens are smartly and stylishly designed, catering to Indian home habits. It ensures that items are stored that are used most commonly in comfortable locations. The remarkable feature is that the division won’t be easy to recognize, but will assist you practically and functionally.
(b) Carpenter Kitchen
01. Carpenters are easier to approach and are locally available as this is quite familiar technique and traditional way of building a kitchen.
02. These carpenters are more flexible with pricing of the kitchen built-up so they are quite budget friendly comparatively.
03. Since most of the work carpenters will do in front of you, there is scope for customization options or alterations in design as needed.
Disadvantages: Modular kitchen v/s Carpenter Kitchen
(a) Modular Kitchen
01. Modular kitchen is known for its quality which always come with a price, so it will be quite costlier than carpenter-made kitchen
02. Regular cleaning of the surfaces is required to prevent the fading and dullness of the modular furniture. Installation and repair of pre-fabricated cabinets need technical assistance for it.
03. Ensure that you get the accurate picture of your actual kitchen design by your appointed designer.
(b) Carpenter Kitchen
01. As it is usually hand-made the quality and finishing is of concern in this aspect.
02. This type of construction involves fixing of cabinets and furniture permanently which is quite tedious or impossible for further use after dismantling of it.
03. The cost keeps on fluctuating and varying in case of carpenter made kitchens
04. Modular kitchen has a technique of edge banding in which the sharp edges are avoided giving the clear and sleek look whereas in this case it is not possible to achieve this look.
05. If the carpenter is not aware of the present trend in designs of kitchen then it would be such that the old and traditional techniques to be repeated in kitchen design both in terms of functionality as well as décor.
06. The scope of having 2d drawings and 3d visualization is quite not possible in this by carpenter as most of them are not skilled in terms of software usage unless a designer is appointed.
There are various advantages of modular kitchens as compared to carpenter kitchen in terms of finishes, variety and quality. If you have fluctuating cost of your budget and carpenter is well known who guarantees you to give quite good quality of work at your reasonable budget, then that would be considerable option to take into account.