Many household products and medicines to avoid during recovering from alcohol abuse and other addiction disorders. Certain of these items may appear harmless. For addicts, these same items could be a source of enticement which can lead to cravings and lead to relapse. Alcohol Rehab Places Seattle can help you that which Medications & which items you use daily to avoid addiction recovery.
Vulnerability in The Early Stages of Recovery, How to Reduce Risk?
The initial phases of recovery are the ones when people are the most vulnerable. People are learning how to lead a sober life while working to improve their health and developing efficient strategies to deal with cravings and triggers.
If there are temptations in the environment around them It is easy to become distracted and lose track of time. For example, they might begin reminiscing about the “glory times” of substance abuse and the enjoyment they had, without considering the negative effects their use of substances could have brought about.
Additionally, they no do not have the established environment that they experienced during rehabilitation. Instead, they have to deal with everyday challenges just as everyone else. However, for those who are in the early stages of recovery, the additional stress caused by daily struggles can be overwhelming and cause lapses in the event that medications and other things are readily available within the home. Therefore, it is important to make sure that the house that you or your loved ones are clear of the use of alcohol, drugs, and other substances that can be used to treat addiction.
Preventative Medicines to Avoid in Early Recovery
Certain prescriptions and medications that are available over the counter are not recommended during recovery because they could cause serious consequences and even the possibility of relapse. The last thing that a recovering person wants to do is reverse all their efforts, which is why it is crucial to know the medications to stay clear of.
Certain prescription drugs are not recommended due to their addiction, such as:
Medicines that are available over the counter
There are also over-the-prescription medications that you should stay clear of while recovering These include:
- Any kind of nighttime or sleeping medication.
- Cough syrups that contain Dextromethorphan (DMX)
- Any liquid medicine that contains alcohol, like NyQuil, ZzzQuil, Robitussin, Vicks, and Halls.
- Decongestants, anti-allergy medications, and sinus and cold medications that contain Pseudoephedrine.
- Motion sickness medicines contain Dimenhydrinate.
Before you begin a prescription or OTC medication, it’s important to inquire with Alcohol Rehab Places Seattle an Alcohol Treatment Program in Seattle, Washington whether the medication is addictive. If it is, you should request that they prescribe or suggest a different medication. However, there are prescriptions as well as prescription medications that you can take to recover, for example:
- High Blood Pressure Medicines
- High Cholesterol Medicines
- Medicines for Mental Health and Behavior
Things to Avoid every day in the Recovery
In addition to the various drugs you can stay away from recovery, there are many other daily things you should get rid of from your home to avoid falling into a lapse like:
- Alcohol – It is recommended to not have alcohol within the home to prevent any temptation to drink.
- Mouthwashes that contain Alcohol Mouthwashes with Alcohol – Many types of mouthwash have alcohol in them therefore, get rid of these and replace them with alcohol-free alternatives.
- Inhalants – Inhalants comprise a variety of items such as spray paint made of rubber cement nail polish remover model glue and butane. Even whipping cream contained in aerosol bottles is thought of as an inhalant.
- Spices/Seasonings/Herbs – Most extracts contain ethanol or alcohol, including vanilla extract and almond extract. Certain herbs possess sedative or stimulant properties, such as St John’s Wort and Valerian root.
- Hand Sanitizer – A lot of hand sanitizers contain alcohol, and should be replaced with alcohol-free alternatives.
- Aftershave/Cologne/Perfume – Many of these products use ethanol for their base, so they should be removed from the home.
- Air Fresheners and Deodorizers Air Fresheners and Deodorizers Many of these products have Nitrites (poppers) which can cause misuse.
Although many items that are used in everyday life may be considered to not be as harmful as drinking alcohol or other drugs, however, it is important to keep in mind that these products can be more readily available. Additionally, using household products is extremely dangerous and can lead to accidental overdose and even death.
If you need help with your alcohol addiction, find the Best Private Alcohol Treatment Center in Seattle. Alcohol rehab places in Seattle connect you with top-rated private alcohol rehab facilities across Seattle that have rehabilitation & treatment options for alcohol addiction.
What if someone in the home needs medication?
If a member of the family requires prescriptions or prescriptions for a medicine that is not recommended it is best to lock the medication in a lock box or another secure place to avoid any attraction. It is also recommended to avoid taking any medications that are around them.
In addition to removing all temptations in the home, the family must be ready to alter certain behaviors where alcohol or other substances were a part of the past. Instead, you and your family should consider new activities and hobbies that promote a drug-free and healthy lifestyle.