Most people are in two main areas that is home and work. Many are convinced that one out of four UAE is working from home in 2022, people spend more time at their homes. The risk of getting sick is the buildings you reside in. It’s known as sick building syndrome. Some common signs of symptoms of sick building syndrome are:
- Eyes, throat and nose irritation
- Chest tightness;
- Aches in the body;
- Incessant sneezing;
- Forgetfulness/difficulty focusing;
- Constant fatigue.
Every building can cause you to get sick. While you are able to help reduce the symptoms of illness by limiting exposure to the environment, the place which is causing you to get sick may be an area that you have to be in such as your home or work place. It is essential to recognize and treat the source of the problem. This article will discuss the various typical causes of illnesses related to building and the best way to go to address them.
1. Heating and Cooling Systems
Heating and ventilation as well as air cooling (HVAC) Systems are known as causes of building-related illnesses. The issue is HVAC systems typically cover an entire system, which means that when a substance is found to be contaminated the risk is that it has been distributed throughout the home. If you are searching for the “best HVAC repair near me” you will get dozens of names of HVAC contractors with attractive deals and packages.
If your HVAC system cools in your house, it could cause stagnant water to remain in the HVAC ducts which can cause a build-up of mold and bacteria. In the event that your HVAC system’s ducts and HVAC equipment fail to undergo regular maintenance or cleaning it could result in the poor quality of air. Microbial development and the exposure to air pollution could cause problems such as:
- Trouble breathing, especially those suffering from asthma
- Itchy skin or rashes
- Eye irritation or pain
- Sneezing that is constant or runny;
- Throat irritation.
HVAC systems provide a reliable method of heating and cooling your home. Below are some things you can take care of to ensure that your HVAC systems don’t make you sick:
- Replace air filters according to the recommendations by your HVAC company or the filter company typically every 60 days with lower-level filters, and more frequently for higher high-quality filters.
- Replace your air filters with one that is more suitable to your home. If you have pets or you have a huge house an ordinary one-inch filter might not be sufficient.
- Plan regularly scheduled HVAC service maintenance as well as cleaning. Examples include leak inspections corrosion checks, leak checks, air cleaning of ducts.
2. Plumbing Leaks
In addition to the obvious leak problem that is in the air Plumbing issues in commercial and home leaks can lead to serious health concerns. In certain instances, pollutants from the pipe that are leaking could end in your drinking water which can cause additional health issues.
If plumbing pipes rupture or leak inside or below your house the risk is mold and other growing microbial species. This could cause a range of respiratory problems and symptoms ranging from irritation to breathing difficulties. Every home has plumbing which is why leaks happen therefore it is crucial to be aware of what you can do and what alternatives to make sure you’re not getting sick from leaks in your plumbing. Drain Pro in UAE offers the Best Local Residential Plumbing Services. They will fix, install and maintain all the pipes and lines at your residential property so that you and your loved ones have a comfortable living.
- Make sure you check for leaks every now and then throughout your home. Certain leaks lie below the surface and require specific equipment and knowledge, however others, more common leaks such as leaks from toilets are ones you should be able to detect yourself.
- If you spot an issue, shut off the water in order to minimize the possibility of damage. Also, dry and wash the area in which the water dripped;
- If you’re noticing that your water bill rising however you are unable to locate any leaks or have discovered a leak but can’t fix it then you might need to utilize plumbing services for commercial or residential properties. Plumbers can assist in a variety of ways, including:
- Leak detection;
- Water damage restoration;
- Waterline repair;
- Sewer line repair.
- One of the most effective ways to prevent leaks in your plumbing are to maintain your plumbing system in a preventative manner or completely replacing the plumbing system for your entire structure an entirely new, safe beginning with dependable plumbing.
3. Furniture and textiles
Furniture, flooring and various other textile materials (e.g. carpets, sheets of bedding, etc.) contain harsh chemical treatments throughout production and are a prime environment for microscopic insects like dust mites. As per the American Lung Association, dust mites are a widespread, naturally occurring pest that causes a variety of health problems, such as:
- Nasal congestion;
- Eye irritation;
- Skin irritation;
- Sinus pressure;
- Asthma attacks.
Flooring, furniture and other materials add an aesthetic to your workplace or home However, they could be a contributing factor to your health It is therefore important to be aware of the steps you can do to avoid this:
- Clean your furniture and surfaces frequently;
- Cleanse your floors and furniture frequently;
- Utilize professional deep-cleaning services that be used to steam and clean your flooring furniture, flooring and other fabrics;
- Microscopic bugs prefer humid environments So, make use of a dehumidifier to decrease the volume of liquid present in the air.
- As time passes regardless of what frequency you wash, it might be the time to change flooring, furniture, and other types of textiles.
4. Appliances and household items
Appliances and household items that are commonplace in the home could cause you to suffer from sickness, particularly those that make use of water. Some household appliances that could make you sick include:
- Dishwashers, washing machine, sinks, as well as all water-related features (faucets or showerheads, fountains) all contribute to becoming sick. Each of these appliances uses water, and they can all be ideal places for mold or bacteria to flourish — particularly in the event of leaks;
- Drying racks that are used to dry dishes and clothing are ideal breeding grounds for bacteria. The same is true for dish rags as well as sponges for washing dishes.
- Shower mats used to get out of the bath or shower is an additional perfect place to spread bacteria. Wet towels are another contributing factor.
- Refrigerators can cause dust and create dangers for mold.
Appliances and household appliances can facilitate things and there are certain things you can take care of to ensure they don’t contribute to illness:
- Make sure to thoroughly clean your household appliances and other household items. If you’re able to put it into the washer ensure that you do (shower mats towels) and should you have to scrub using hot water or chemicals, make sure to do that as well;
- Make sure to check your appliances to make sure that they’re functioning properly. Find any leaks and look for any unusual smells coming from dishwashers, washing machines, and dishwashers. If you notice leaks, call the manufacturer you bought your appliance, or a repairman, or maybe an electrician;
- Get your fridge cleaned clean shelves, scrub the shelves, and be sure to not leave food items in the fridge for too long.
- If you own an water filtration system installed in your sink, fridge, or a separate pitcher, ensure that you frequently replace the filter.
5. Cleaning Products
Cleaning is among the most effective methods to decrease the risk of developing a disease, however, a variety of cleaning products can be a cause of sickness in themselves. They can cause eye/nose/ear/throat/skin irritation, headaches, nausea, dizziness, and they can even lead to cancer. Common hazardous chemicals to stay clear of when using cleaning products include:
- The sodium hydroxide
Vacuums are cleaning tools which can also cause illness and in some cases they may cause damage more than they do good. If your vacuum doesn’t come with a top-quality, high-efficiency filter, it might emit dirt and particles in the air. This is also the case in the event that your vacuum’s bag or collector is overflowing.
As we’ve mentioned before Cleaning is among the most effective ways to get rid of germs and diseases at your workplace or in your home Therefore, it is crucial to think about the following aspects:
- Examine the ingredients of cleaning products, even those that advertise as “green” or “natural”;
- Think about making your own DIY cleaning supplies;
- Remove dust or cleaning cloths after each use.
- Make use of professional cleaning or maid service;
- Clean your vacuum, and then change your filter.
- Upgrade your vacuum that has an HEPA filter.
6. Building Materials
A variety of building materials can be a cause of illnesses. Many building materials can contribute to. Certain materials are still in use while others aren’t, but remain in older buildings. They are contaminated with harmful substances as well as chemicals. When disturbed, these materials could be released into the air. Here are a few chemicals present in building materials
- Asbestos: Asbestos was utilized in the past to provide heat insulation for tiles for flooring/ceilings as well as adhesives, plasters, roofs, wallboards, cement and fireproofing. Asbestos can cause cancer;
- Chromated Copper Arsenic (CCA): CCAs are used to stop wood rot and are present in certain items that use wood. CCAs cause cancer and are a carcinogen;
- Formaldehyde: Formaldehyde is created by natural processes, and is used as a preservative. Formaldehyde can cause cancer and can cause eye, nose, and ear irritation, difficulty breathing and nausea.
- Perfluorinated chemicals (PFCs): PFCs are utilized to create the stain and many other household products (e.g. household products for hygiene). There are a variety of PFCs, however some can cause cancer;
- Phthalates: Phthalates are chemicals that make plastics more flexible and durable. They are present in a variety of items like PVC as well as flooring, toys hair products, furniture upholstery. They could negatively impact reproductive and hormonal systems of the human.
- Lead: Lead can be found in older pipes, soiland and pottery and is used in paint for houses. Exposed to it is extremely hazardous and can hinder brain development, trigger seizures, harm kidneys, harm nervous systems and cause death.
Below are a few alternatives to building materials that are harmful:
- If you’re renovating or building, be sure to select your materials and be sure you do not use products containing the following chemicals :
- If you’ve got asbestos in your house consider hiring asbestos removal professionals. They’ll take away all of asbestos in a safe manner;
- Make sure you open your windows frequently buy activated carbon filters and then use an air purifier that circulates the bad air out and let fresh air in;
- You can take off lead paint yourself, however you need to make sure you shut off the HVAC unit, and seal your house, use warm water ready to put away the lead in, then take the lead paint and soak it on walls, and take away household items when the paint is present to stop the growth of lead. It’s best to engage an expert;
- Maintain or replace wood or other substances with chemicals that are harmful.
7. Pollution and inadequate ventilation
Quality of air is vital and air pollution and insufficient ventilation are two major factors which can hinder. They can trigger asthmatic reactions, difficulty breathing and irritation all over your body and head, migraines swelling of the body, and dry eyes. The air you breathe is a source of pollution from various indoor and outdoor sources.
- Water pollution
- Smoke pollution;
- Chemical pollution;
- Radon pollution.
There are a variety of methods to reduce thisConsider the following:
- Clean your home to pick all allergens and chemical that are accumulated in dust from your home;
- Do not smoke or allow smoking to take place in your home or outside, near doors or windows.
- Put doormats in the interior and outside of doors to allow the occupants to put their feet before entering. Also, you should clean them frequently;
- Keep your humidity at a healthy level with a humidifier/dehumidifier;
- Conduct tests to determine radon levels or other chemicals or gases you might be concerned about.
- Allow fresh air in periodically so you can ensure that the HVAC units recycle the same air.
- Make sure to change your air filters regularly and clean your ducts frequently.
If you think about the amount of time we spend in the indoor environment, it is crucial to ensure it is safe to breathe in the air as well as the environment around us aren’t creating sickness. The information provided above will give you more understanding of the indoor risks that are present and the best ways to deal with the issues. In the case of the plumbing quality professionals from Dubai Emergency Plumbing Service are ready to assist. They can conduct a thorough check to make sure you have a plumbing installation that is secure and running effectively.